Saturday, September 03, 2005

An Apology

Whoa. I just saw that my newsletter went out and I want to post an immediate apology. I had written the text before the full damage from Katrina was aired all over the news, and I'm so sorry that the beginning of the newsletter sounds callous with the reference to what's happening in "my corner of the world." The phrasing was purely that of your average update letter. Like the rest of you, I'm appalled by the awful events down south, and I'm hoping and praying those people will recover quickly. As you know, one of the best ways to help them through this is to visit the Red Cross site at www.redcross.org.

I can't get over the destruction. The families, the homes, the history.... From personal experience, I had just visited New Orleans a few months ago, and I can't believe that most of what I saw is wiped out. The mixture of the kind people, the character of the buildings (in and out of the tourist destinations), the colorful joie de vivre has been altered. Unbelievable. On the tours I took, every guide would mention that it would require just *one* big storm to devastate New Orleans, and then they would laugh, because the city seemed ageless, untouchable, having survived fires and chaos already. The optimist in me hopes that the city's indominatable spirit will overcome this tragedy, too. And it goes without saying that my heart is rooting for *all* the places that were hit by Katrina. The people on the west coast, east coast, and to the north of you are here in your time of need--we're pulling for you all.

Again, I'm so, so sorry.

No comments: