Sunday, October 16, 2005

TV report card

Now that the fall season premieres are done, I thought this would be an interesting time to take stock of how things are going so far on the tube.

ROME (HBO) - Great intrigue, lavish sets and costumes, fun soap opera elements. I'm about four episodes behind on my DVR (like a TiVo), so I guess that means I'm not exactly rushing to watch it, but I do enjoy this one.

CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM (HBO) - Funny as ever. I couldn't believe the episode that poked holes in everything from bathroom stalls that are equipped for the physically challenged to racist dogs.

EXTRAS (HBO) - I tuned into about fifteen minutes of this and couldn't deal. I loved the BBC version of THE OFFICE, so I was shocked that I was so bored by this Ricky Gervais show.

DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES (ABC) - I can't say I was ever a gushing fan of this series. It's good for a few laughs, but the continuity is lazy and some of the plot situations are so moronic that it's hard to overcome them (Remember when Gabrielle stole a port-a-potty and put it in the back yard? The skipped logistics of that still astound me.). We'll see where this year is going. So far--meh.

GREY'S ANATOMY (ABC) - I tuned in late to this one, but I like it. A lot. The characters are sympathethic and I like all the affairs and stuff.

FOOTBALLERS WIVE$ (BBC America) - Love it! See my September blog about this show.

ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT (Fox) - Love it! I literally laugh on an average of every thirty seconds. Bob Loblaw? OMG. Comedy gold.

KITCHEN CONFIDENTIAL (Fox) - I'm a bit behind on the DVR for this one, too, but I like its energy and the men who are in it.

SURFACE (NBC) - Waaaaay behind on this one, but the first episode was pretty intriguing, so I'll be giving this more of a chance.

HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER (CBS) - Even with Willow, I couldn't hang with this show. I stopped watching after the first episode. Not funny.

PRISON BREAK (Fox) - See my September blog about this one. Wentworth Miller is a hottie, and I'm still watching.

BONES (Fox) - I've stopped watching, and I'm not happy about that. I want to support David Boreanaz, but while I was tuning in one night, I realized that I'd reached my crime procedural show threshold.

AMAZING RACE (CBS) - Love this show. Always intense and I love seeing the travel highlights. I'm not crazy about this family-team formula, so hopefully we'll get back to the couples next season. I do, however, love the U.S.A. locations this season.

MY NAME IS EARL (NBC) - Funny, funny, funny. First, I adore Jason Lee. As I told my brother, the man could sit in a meadow just staring at the camera and I'd be laughing my tush off. He's just got a face that cracks me up. And add to that scripts that are sweet and goofy, characters who are completely nuts, and an ex-wife who keeps coming up with inventive ways to steal Earl's cash and you've got comedy, my friends.

THE OFFICE (NBC) - Love it! Steve Carrell is gold. In fact, all the actors on this show are. I look forward to this one every week.

SUPERNATURAL (WB) - I tune in every once in a while. Some creepy stuff, but it rates an "okay" on my list. I really like the urban legend twists though.

NIP/TUCK (FX) - Love it! See my September blog for more on this one. Still, YIKES--the Carver is back!!! Sean is spiraling out of control! I can't stand Matt! Christian Troy is actually becoming even more of a tragic figure!

THE APPRENTICE: MARTHA STEWART (NBC) - I have to admit, I can't get enough of the Apprentice formula. I'm enthralled by the dynamics of these people as they figure out tasks. And Martha is pretty amusing with her icy little comments.

LOST (ABC) - Love it! See my previous blog for this. I have no idea what's going on with the plot but I'm hooked.

VERONICA MARS (UPN) - Love it! Why aren't you watching it??? A wonderful show that *never* lets me down. Full of awesome dialogue, good mysteries, and heartfelt emotion. Also, these young actors are great, especially Kristen Bell, who has a huge career ahead of her. I'll be blogging about this show in the future, campaigning for more people to watch (as I did in the past) so beware.

ALIAS (ABC) - Is it still to early to write this season off? I want to remain a loyal fan, but my patience is being sorely tested.

SURVIVOR (CBS) - I'm kinda bored this season.

EVERYBODY HATES CHRIS (UPN) - Very funny show. Try it--you'll like it.

THE APPRENTICE (NBC) - Oh, man, are those women terrible, or what? My money is on Marshawn or Alla to win though.

REUNION (Fox) - Is this one even on anymore? I liked the first episode, but then the series, like, disappeared or something. Did Fox stuff it into a magician's hat and forget to pull it back out? I think it'll be back after baseball ends, but it remains to be seen whether or not I'll still be interested.

Well, isn't it depressing to know that I watch so much TV? LOL. Actually, my DVR cuts the viewing time drastically, so I can watch three programs in the time it used to take to watch two. True, there are a few shows that I watch when they're on because I need to see them immediately, so I'm not all about avoiding commercials.
DVR...I luv u.

5 comments:

The Humanity Critic said...

ok, you have great taste because I love "My name is Earl" and "The Office" as well.

Lex said...

You wrote that you don't know what's going on with Lost but you still love it.

Can I just say -- is that awesome or what?

-Lex
losttalk.info

Crystal Green's Blog said...

lex--being confused was never such an excellent experience! The more LOST puzzles me, the more I love it!

And humanity critic, thank you so much. The American OFFICE has really come into its own, huh?

Thanks for posting, you all!

Chasing Lee said...

bwYour observations of the current tv season are dead on.

Crystal Green's Blog said...

Chasing Lee, thanks! They're just one opinion from someone (me) who watches way too much TV, LOL.