Friday, November 11, 2005

For inspiration

Yesterday, I watched a movie on DVD that I thought might help me stay in the groove for my Blaze novel. Using films is a quicker way of doing research than reading a book, of course, and the visuals often inspire me with their colors and/or vibe. That last part sounds weird, but it's true.

I told you in a previous post that the first movie I watched for Blaze inspiration (for PLAYMATES) was WILD ORCHID. This time, for this WIP (work in progress), it was DELTA OF VENUS, which was also directed by Zalman King. He was the driving force behind RED SHOE DIARIES, as well, so the man knows what he's doing.

The plot of DELTA concerns "Elena," an American writer who's come to live in pre-WWII Paris in order to be inspired (I can relate.). While there, she embarks upon a "journey to find her sexuality." While this movie had a good sense of the time period's eroticism, it wasn't as hot as I'd hoped. Don't know why. There was lots of action, but I just wasn't drawn in all the way. However, while I was daydreaming during part of the film (Yes, this does happen when I finally get too bored to care yet too unwilling to give up watching the story--see previous SAW II blog), I did think of a pretty good love scene that I used in today's writing.

So thank you, DELTA OF VENUS. You did your duty.

No comments: