Tuesday, November 15, 2005

ROME: one away from the finale

Has anyone been watching ROME on HBO? In a previous blog (TV report card--I think I'll do another one by the end of sweeps, BTW), I mentioned that I had a ROME backlog on my DVR; I believe I had, like, five episodes to watch. Well, I had me a little marathon, and, oh man, do I love this series! It just keeps getting more complex and intense with every episode. I've come to really feel for a lot of the characters, too, especially Titus Pullo and Lucius Vorenus, two ex-soldiers who are trying to make their way in life after Caesar has gained power and the massive battlefields have turned into backstreet assassinations. Here are some of the things I've loved about this series:

*Titus and Lucius, the Dumb and Dumber of the centurian set: these are two guys who absolutely grow on you. They started out pretty much despising each other, but now they'd lay down their livesfor each other. I hear the finale is going to be very sad, and I'm so afraid something is going to happen to one of these guys. And here's the thing--ROME pulls no punches; I don't trust them to keep this pair safe (see the next point).
* the squick factor: okay, I don't actually "love" this but I'm kinda fascinated by it. ROME is bloody, brutal, and graphic (and I'm not just talking about in a violent way). One of the biggest OH NO THEY DIDN'T moments came during an incestuous seduction that was engineered by one of the show's great bad girls. A huge I-can't-look-away-from-this-car-accident moment. And that gladiator scene in the most recent episode? Ugh, bleh, blah, but I couldn't stop watching that one, either.
*the build up: not only have we seen the rise of Caesar, but we've also seen the methodical, venomous chess games that personally consume many characters, particularly Atia and Servilia. You wouldn't want to tick either of these women off. ROME has done a great job of creating characters you root for one second and hate the next. This is the case with these two women: they're highly amusing, but they're disgusting. Same with Roman politics.
*the anticipation leading up to Caesar's assassination: it's happening in the finale next week, and I'm getting goosebumps just thinking about it. Not only is this a major moment in history, it's going to throw a lot of the show's characters into complete destruction.

I can't wait for season two and, daggonit, season one isn't even done. Boy, I'm in for a long haul.

No comments: