Friday, December 23, 2005

LITTLE HOUSE Christmas

Urgh. I am not done with my Christmas shopping. I don't even have any idea of what I still need to get. Can you say it with me? Dis. Organized. Or maybe it's just pure, good old fashion procrastination.

My mom and I talk about this all the time, but we'd love the holidays to go back to LITTLE HOUSE ON THE PRAIRIE simplicity. Remember, at the beginning of the year, when ABC aired that LITTLE HOUSE miniseries? This was one based on the actual book, not the NBC ON THE BANKS OF PLUM CREEK takeoff. The miniseries had scary moments and reflected a real pioneering spirit that was pocked with the reality of what this new America was doing to the west that was already in existence. One of the most touching moments in the series was when the Ingalls celebrated Christmas. "Santa" was not able to make it across a swollen river, so it looked as if the girls wouldn't have much for presents. But what they did get they cherished. Simple things, like sugar cookies and a wooden animal that Pa Ingalls had carved with loving care.

Wouldn't it be cool to appreciate gifts that much again? To not expect a whole truckload of presents under the tree but to, instead, adore one gift that was chosen and constructed with heartfelt effort?

Not to say I don't love what I receive, but it's just a thought, a frame of mind that sounds so appealing during the rush that the holidays have become.

All the same, in the spirit of simple wishes, I hope you all have a wonderful holiday filled with cheer and affection!

No comments: