Saturday, June 24, 2006

iPod shelf: FAST FOOD NATION

As I mentioned in a previous blog, I'm pretty into audio books now. In fact, I just joined audible.com, and I'm totally excited because of all the titles they have available. You might remember my review of RUNNING WITH SCISSORS recently, too, which was a great audio experience since it was read by the author himself.

My latest foray into audiodom is with a non-fiction offering, FAST FOOD NATION. Now, remember that documentary SUPER SIZE ME? (I reviewed it a few months ago.) Well, this isn't the same thing. It's similiar, with the focus on McDonald's and the negative consequences that the food has visited on this country in particular. But FAST FOOD NATION, which will somehow be a movie itself, come fall, takes a broader sociological approach to the main topic. FFN (abbreviation time--I'm already tired of writing the whole title) is pretty much an expose, a fact-laden testiment to the far-reaching ramifications of what we've chosen to eat in the 20th century. Poignant anecdotes relate the human cost of these industries, which have seriously become kingdoms--not merely businesses. What Eric Schlossinger (sp? LOL) has to say will make you think about what you're choosing to eat day in and day out.

The worst part of the book is the "slaughterhouse horror." I listened to it about a week ago, and I still get physically ill just thinking about it. Ugh. FFN has spurred a lot of thought on my part, as a matter of fact. Thought and outrage. I can't help feeling as if we, as a society, are being heavily--and willingly--played by the food industry. And guess what? Many parts of the government are helping them, not stopping them.

Reading FFN will definitely give you (dare I say it? okay--whatever) food for thought. And I promise you that this sustenence will give you more to digest than any Happy Meal.

3 comments:

Karmela Johnson said...

Chris, completely off-topic but I tagged you! See if you want to fill out my Musical Monday Meme.

Crystal Green's Blog said...

LOL! I'm off to the airport for a short flight, but I'll tag back later today. How fun, Karm!

patrick said...

just watched the movie version Fast Food Nation, it's an impactful flick to say the least... earlier today i passed up a sausage mcmuffin because of it.