Thursday, August 24, 2006

Bookshelf: MURDER UNCORKED


Want a fun cozy mystery to entertain you? Here's a recommendation: MURDER UNCORKED, by Michele Scott. I just finished this first book in the Wine Lover's series, and I'm going to right out to the store to buy the second, MURDER BY THE GLASS. Michele uses a really cool conceit throughout the books: woven through the mysteries are several recipes and wine pairings. If characters are talking over appetizers, you can be sure you'll find the details for cooking the food after the drama ends in the following mini-chapter. I loved that; it gave me a "bonus" while reading and it enhanced the tone and setting.

Now, Michele is a personal friend of mine, but I had such a good time with this tale that I wanted to share it with you. I'm also reading THE HOLLYWOOD BOOK OF DEATH (research for the vamp book I'm working on) and ULTRA VIOLET, a Bombshell about a woman who discovers she has superheroine-like powers. I'm really enjoying this last one--it starts out with a lot of action and intrigue.

In the meantime, it's back to writing those vamps!

2 comments:

Y said...

MURDER UNCORKED sounds really interesting... I've also been meaning to read ULTRA VIOLET for a while now but have been stuck in my own writing. :/ Also not feeling the greatest at the moment.

Can't wait to check out more of your vamps, BTW!

Crystal Green's Blog said...

Hey, Yolanda! I can't wait to try some of those MURDER UNCORKED recipes. And I read more of ULTRA VIOLET and I'm really liking it! There's a good mystery with good pacing and emotion.

Hope your own writing is going well--and get better, okay?

(And thanks re: the vamps. Yay!)