Friday, September 15, 2006

Bookshelf: THERE AND BACK AGAIN: AN ACTOR'S TALE

Who's a LORD OF THE RINGS fan? Raise your hands up high, because I know you're out there. I, too, adore these movies as well as the books, and I'm in perpetual awe of what Peter Jackson and company did in translating these epics from page to screen. So it only makes sense that I would eventually read Sean Astin's account of life on the set.

Now, I have to be honest. I did pick up this book with high hopes of hearing a yarn or two about Orlando Bloom. Can't help it--he's a hottie. But, at the same time, I wanted to know the nitty-gritty of filming the Battle of Helm's Deep as well as how things like the set pieces and costumes were conceived. And, for part of the book, I got just that (but details about Bloom only came near the end of the book. Bummer!). For the other part, I was educated about Sean Astin's acting and life philosophies, which were interesting in and of themselves. As you know, Astin is the son of Patty Duke and the stepson of John Astin, so he's a "Hollywood kid." But in spite of the sad images that term brings up, it sounds like he turned out very well. This aspect of his story is enlightening, especially since my Vampire Babylon heroine, Dawn Madison, is of the same breed. (Hah--you didn't think I'd read this without research in mind, did you?) Astin is very forthcoming about the good as well as the bad choices he's made in business and in general. In fact, his candor is sometimes stunning since he doesn't hold back on opinions regarding people like Ian McKellan *and* Orlando Bloom. To balance things out, though, he always takes blame where blame is due, especially if he's the responsible party.

If you love LORD OF THE RINGS, well, you've probably already read this and I've only gotten my slow butt in gear. But it's an interesting take on just one of the stars of the trilogy.

4 comments:

Y said...

Wow, this one sounds very interesting. I was a huge Sean Astin fan as a kid and teen. Loved him in THE GOONIES and TOY SOLDIERS... anyway, thanks for sharing!

:)

Crystal Green's Blog said...

LOL--he talks about both of those movies in there. Besides LOTR, my favorite Astin movie is RUDY. Yeah, I'm not alone, but I love, love, love that film, and he's so darn good in it. Whenever I think that my own life stinks, I just think to myself, "Rudy would kick your butt, girl! Just shut your mouth and get it done." And then I sack someone and everything is okay. :)

Karmela Johnson said...

Damn you Crystal Green for giving me another good book recommendation! My TBR pile is bordering on fire code violations! But alas, I must add this book to the ever growing, towering stack because I'm an LOTR ho. And now you've piqued my curiosity about what Sam said about Gandalf and Legolas. Was there some bitch-slapping that went on? (Hehe... you know how much I love that phrase and try to insert it in as many conversations as I can.)

Crystal Green's Blog said...

My TBR pile is bordering on fire code violations!
Oh, I hear ya! It depresses me, yet makes me so happy, to know I have so many books to read. It's depressing only because I know I'll probably never get around to reading everything!

And as for bitch slapping (love that phrase, too)--there are some mild swipes, yes. But I think he's fair when he does it.