Sunday, October 22, 2006

Just an update

I love the time following the completion of a big project. Other ideas begin to creep up on me during random times (like when I'm having a conversation or just taking a walk). And, although I do have work to get done, the mini-projects don't seem as end-of-the-world pressing as a 400+ page book.

Since turning in BREAK OF DAWN, Book Three of Vampire Babylon, I've been allowing some ideas to "marinate." I've also been gearing up to write a synopsis for the latest Special Edition I sold--a Montana Mavericks continuity book. You guys know what continuity books are: the house contracts, in this instance, six authors to write six books about six different couples who are connected by the same premise. It's like a soap opera, but with each episode exploring a new romance. At the same time, though, a bigger, connecting story is developed all the way through to the last novel. Fans love these series books; heck, I love them, too, and the beauty is that they come out one month after the other. You never have long to wait with a continuity. My book is going to be about two high school friends who find each other. Right now, it's called THE BEST MAN and it takes place in Montana, of course. I'm looking forward to fleshing out the characters I was given.

After that, I'm going to revise a "futuristic western paranormal" that I started before I dove into BREAK OF DAWN. I haven't seen the three chapters and synopsis since I wrote them months ago, and I love that. Rarely do I get the Stephen King-esque luxury of stepping back from raw work and coming back to it with a really fresh eye. I'm lucky if I get a week, usually.

Then, I'm going to attack my vampire Blaze, THE ULTIMATE BITE, which I'll talk about in later blogs. But you know what? Last night I had an idea for another "atmospheric thriller," like BAITED. It doesn't take place on a yacht or an island--I have in mind more of a SHINING-type mansion in the mountains--but it's a creeped-out whodunit. I want to start on *this* project right now, but I have to get that Montana Mavericks synopsis done! Aye. What to do?

Oh, and did I mention that I'm writing the lead article for the Orange County RWA chapter's newsletter soon? It's due in three weeks, and it'll be about what an author does when her/his book line closes. With the shut down of Bombshell, this is close to my heart, and I know my fellow authors are going to have a lot to contribute, too!

Anyway, onward. Here I go with a bunch of exciting new things. I'm so lucky to be a writer!

3 comments:

Y said...

Sounds like you've got a lot of things 'marinating' there, C! WOW! That's always GREAT, isn't it?

Oh, and I'm totally intrigued about your vampire BLAZE... can't wait to hear more! ;)

Have a GREAT week.

Gena Showalter said...

I can't wait for The Ultimate Bite!!!

Crystal Green's Blog said...

It is great, Y. I like staying busy, and I have to say that having a couple of weeks to mess around with new projects is like playtime. :)

And thanks, Y and Gena, for being excited about THE ULTIMATE BITE. I'm excited to see what comes of it, too, LOL. I like the vampire hero, Stephen, verra much--he's definitely the most traditional vamp I've ever written. And I know I'm going to enjoy writing about his past.... (Tell ya more later!)