Saturday, December 23, 2006

Audio: KITCHEN CONFIDENTIAL

I'm not sure what, exactly, inspired me to download Anthony Bourdain's KITCHEN CONFIDENTIAL from audible.com. Maybe I did it because I'd heard that this famous chef related all his naughty misdeeds, his drugged up distasters, his sex-in-the-pantry escapades in this tell-all memoir. Maybe I did it because...

Wait. It was totally because of the gossipy stuff. Let's not fool ourselves.

Yet imagine my surprise when I discovered that there aren't so many juicy events in this book. Sure, there are casual references to getting coked up after restaurant hours, but not much more than that. Darn Bourdain, but there's a lot of talk about actual restaurant-running and food in KITCHEN CONFIDENTIAL!

Luckily that's enough to keep me interested. However, an even bigger selling point is that Bourdain himself narrates his own book in a who-gives-a-crap, mildly amused tone. That's worth the price of a download right there. The enterprising businessman is his own self-aware freak show, and oftentimes it seems as if the culinary details are secondary to his personality. But I don't mind that a bit, because it's Bourdain's voice that gives color to a book that occasionally lacks focus. Still, his tales of management woes and his tips on how to stock a kitchen are genuinely interesting, and anyone who fantasizes that they can cook--like me!--will probably dig this memoir. Bourdain's narration is merely a bonus.

So...next up on audio for me? Maybe it'll be SHOOT OUT, a Hollywood tell-all. Or maybe MARIE ANTOINETTE. Or a Bill Bryson (comic travel genius) book. Or a non-fiction work about the Zodiac Killer. All I know is that my iPod crashed AGAIN and I'll probably be listening straight from my computer....

2 comments:

Y said...

MERRY CHRISTMAS C!!!!

:)

Crystal Green's Blog said...

You, too, Y! Hope you and your family and safe and joyful today of all days.
:)