Friday, December 15, 2006

Twisted

That's what I'm calling the proposal I'm going to plot today: TWISTED. I know the title isn't going to last long--if this story is purchased, the title will probably be scrapped because it's pretty generic. However, it establishes the story's tone, and I figure that'll help when my agent pitches this to an editor.

So what's it about? Well, it's another "atmospheric thriller" along the lines of BAITED, but without the island. As you can probably guess from reading my blogs and reviews of movies I like to watch, I'm pretty into horror, so it's not a big stretch that I want to write about creepy stuff. The premise is "FRIDAY THE 13th meets the setting of THE SHINING"--so, like BAITED, there's the graphic who-dun-it slasher angle, but this time there's a rambling haunted house involved. Mwa-ha-ha!!! The haunted house isn't just the location for a terror-filled weekend, either: it also plays a big part in the characters' backgrounds.

Right now, I'm trying to figure out my heroine. Of course, she can't be a static bore. Part of the fun of writing BAITED was creating Katsu Espinoza. I loved her mixed heritage and how that affected her psyche and actions; also, I loved tying all of that into the murders themselves. And, altogether, the murderer's signature (the faces...) echoed Kat's identity issues. That was a lot of fun to work through as I wrote the story.

This morning, before I took a head-clearing walk, I was nervous that, with TWISTED, I wouldn't be able to come up with the same sort of thematic balance. But I think I've got it. I can't tell you what it is, naturally, because it would be giving away so much about the central mystery, but I think it's something we can all relate to.

I hope.

Anyway...here I go.

(eek)

2 comments:

Y said...

HI C!!! :D

TWISTED sounds intriguing already. And since I absolutely loved BAITED, well, good luck when it gets pitched.

I'm with you on the horror. I've *loved* horror for years and years, and always manage to give my tales a bit of a creep factor because of it. I love Clive Barker and Stephen King because they capture the creepy (and even gross) part of life so well in their story telling.

Anyway, have a GREAT weekend!!!!

Crystal Green's Blog said...

Y!

Thanks. Unfortunately, something else came up and I'll be plotting *today* instead! Argh. (See today's blog, LOL.)

You know, I've never read Clive Barker. I'll have to give that a go, but I love STephen King's short stories in particular. NIGHTSHIFT was amazing and had a lot of influence on my writing, I think. His stories feel so real and fleshed out.

Hope you had a great weekend, too!