Sunday, January 14, 2007

How to tweak your back in one easy step

This is going to be one of those wha-wha entries about how one dorky move can have bad consequences and how those consequences can, perhaps, stem from the way we work.

The other day, just before a seven-hour road trip, I was in Trader Joe's. Aside from all the yumminess that this food store contains, I needed water. Just plain water. Like I've done many times before, I picked up a case of 24 bottles, secure in the knowledge that I was lifting with my legs and not with my back.

Not so.

Tweak! said my back.

Actually, the "tweak" didn't actually start nagging me until later that night. OUCH. But since some very good friends were throwing a baby shower for their first child in L.A. the next day, I was determined to be there. Hence, I hopped (okay, I fell) in to my car the next morning, groaning back and all, and made the long trip. Oddly enough, the driving wasn't hard--it was getting out of the car after the driving that was the problem. I couldn't sit down for the duration of the party, and I left a tad early because the thought of a heating pad and ice pack was calling to me. But I made it.

Later, I looked online to see if I had pulled a back muscle or maybe if my tweak had something to do with my sciatic nerve. I'm no expert, but I think it's the latter, which tells me I should really look at an ergonomically improved way of working on the computer since I don't think that tweak came out of nowhere.

Just part of being a writer and sitting for long stretches of time, you all. Something to keep in mind as we all develop our careers....

4 comments:

Karmela Johnson said...

Oh no!!! Are you okay? Or are you doped up on painkillers right now? Percocet is my personal favorite...

And tonight...HEROES! We have a new tagline! "Are you on the LIST?" (dun, dun, dun...)

Karm

Crystal Green's Blog said...

Thanks, Karm, LOL. I'm way better today, thanks to the help of a heating pad and an ice pack--my buddies.

HEROES--tonight! I'm totally on the list, girl. :)

Karmela Johnson said...

Aw, I made a boo boo. HEROES isn't on until Jan. 22! Imagine my big, fat disappointment...

Glad to know you're doing better. And a big HUZZAH on the most excellent B&N review!!!!!

Crystal Green's Blog said...

LOL--I got all excited about HEROES, thinking I had the date wrong. Oh, well. Here's to next week.

And thanks re: the B&N review!