Saturday, January 20, 2007

Panel day at RWA

Today I have a public speaking engagement. Like about 99% of the rest of the population, I do not love standing up in front of a crowd and attempting to articulate meaningful sentences. This is pretty ironic, seeing as I ran a classroom for a few years, but it's true. Even as a teacher, I'd get anxious before class began; luckily, I was able to direct my fear into energy, and that gave my lessons a little life, I think. However, to this day, when I'm presenting, sometimes I make no sense whatsoever, but at least I work that room.

I'll be speaking today in front of the San Diego RWA chapter; I'm on a panel that's exploring "self-editing and revision." Leanne Shawler, fellow author, as well as a copy editor will be my speakers in arms. Panels are interesting because you can't set a real format: things basically flow because there are different participants and you can't control what they're going to say and what you're going to respond to. I like that, and I don't like that. On one hand, this means there's a limited amount of prep time involved. I prepare what I believe I'll need, but I have to keep in mind that my speaking time will be limited. All I can bring is my expertise (What there is of it.). On the other hand, this is "fly by the seat of your pants" speaking, and that's scary. Still, it can also produce a very entertaining and informative presentation, because you're responding to both the members of the panel and the audience.

So, for all you writers out there, when you decided to pursue this career, did you realize you'd be expected to speak in public because it's supposed to be good PR? Just another thing to prepare yourselves for....

2 comments:

Y said...

Yikes! Public speaking is definitely something I do NOT enjoy. It's scary and nerve-wracking. I used to hate getting up in front of my class in school. And I knew everyone! Imagine talking to people you don't know. Yikes again!!!

Good luck with it C. :D I'm sure you'll do GREAT!

Crystal Green's Blog said...

I appreciate it, Y! Everything went well and I wasn't as nervous as usual. Panels are *way* better than solo engagements. And there was only one person sleeping in the audience, so that's not bad, LOL.