Monday, March 19, 2007

Back in business

Sorry about the lack of blogs the past half week. I was off doing the conference thing in San Diego at the NINC gathering! It was my first NINC conference and I loved it: small, easygoing yet professional, and packed with very informative workshop and roundtable sessions. It was held at the U.S. Grant Hotel in San Diego, and if you don't already know about this historic hotel, it's haunted. I was bummed that I didn't get to see Fanny the ghost--she sounds like a lovely woman--but the catered food was delicious, you all. We even had a tea! You know I was all over that.

At the same time, I've got a lot to follow up on with the workshops. You know how it goes at conferences: you sit in on a session, applying all the advice you're getting to your own stories and/or career, and you come home with a thousand more things to do than when you left. For instance, there was one workshop about contracts, and I wrote down about ten items to follow up on with my next business deals. Also, Ken Sherman, an L.A.-based literary-movie agent, motivated me to really see what I can do about getting works like THE HUNTRESS and BAITED made into movies. (I think the Sci-Fi Channel would be a great home for THE HUNTRESS. Heck, any channel that supports the amazing BATTLESTAR GALACTICA is my kind of place.) It'd also be interesting to see if the Vampire Babylon series would have a chance at being made into something like a pay channel series--one that uses a twelve or thirteen-episode format. That would be perfect for my vampires....

Another wonderful benefit of a small conference is meeting and networking with the other authors. NINC consists of published writers from a variety of genres so, for the first time, I was able to chat with and glean knowledge from pure fantasy and horror writers. (Nancy Holder--you're the best!) Of course, I got to meet some of my favorite romance authors, including Jo Beverly and Mary Jo Putney. Yes--I still get starstruck at these things and I gushed like a fool about their books, LOL. Fangirl until the end--that's me.

It's a good thing I'm still excited about being in conference mode, because I've got the PASIC conference coming up. This time, I get to meet with my editors in New York. (How cool is that--lunching with my editors in New York. Is that a wonderful cliche or what?)

In the meantime, I'm taking this week to brainstorm more stories and complete the line edit for HER BEST MAN (Montana Mavericks, September). After that and the PASIC conference, it'll be all about writing my first Suds Club trilogy book for Special Edition....

2 comments:

Karmela Johnson said...

"Meeting my editors in New York" has such a magical, mysterious and Cosmo Girl vibe to it. I hope to someday utter that exact phrase. Matter of fact, when I *can* say it, I think I'll have it tattoed on my right ass cheek. Yesss!!!! I'm looking forward to that day.

Crystal Green's Blog said...

LOL, a Cosmo Girl! I've arrived. :)

Karm, you'll definitely be having these lunches in the future. I can't imagine it *not* happening!