Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Early in the morn

Check out the date stamp.

No, your eyes are not deceiving you. It is indeed 4:52 am, and I'm getting ready to travel. But the reason I'm pointing out the time is that it brings back memories of how energetic I used to be when I first quit teaching and began writing full-time.

You see, back then (just a few years ago), I would wake up at 4:30 three days a week, start writing a chapter right away, and be done with a rough draft in time for going to the gym and taking a yoga class at 9:30. Yeah, you read that right. I can hardly believe it myself and, when people used to be amazed at my schedule, it didn't seem like a big deal. I felt efficient, peppy, excited.

But nowadays, when I get up at 6am to do my thing, I feel like that's an accomplishment.

I guess 4:30 wake up calls could only last so long with me: I love my sleep. I am a champion sleeper, as a matter of fact. But, somehow, that didn't matter. I was so stoked to get my work done for the day that I popped right out of bed.

Has something about you and your energy level changed within the last few years? Is it because we're getting older or just because we're realizing we're not superpeople?

2 comments:

Angela/SciFiChick said...

I've always needed 8 hrs of sleep to function.
But I'm definitely feeling tired earlier than I used to. But I think it's a change in lifestyle, rather than age... At least that's what I tell myself.
In college, I'd stay up till 2am working on art projects. Now, my body is trained to go to bed earlier since I get up at 5:30. And the less I work out, the more tired I feel.

Crystal Green's Blog said...

Hey, Angela!
I'm also an eight-hour girl--nothing less. I agree with how the lack of working out makes you tired. There's just something refreshing about getting your lungs enough oxygen and your limbs enough movement....