Friday, May 18, 2007

New ticket time

Yee-whoo--I just got my new La Jolla Playhouse tickets in the mail!

As you all have heard, I love my tix. The Playhouse has workshopped all kinds of wonderful productions, both plays and musicals. Many of them have even gone on to Broadway. For instance, I got to see JERSEY BOYS--a bio-musical about the Four Seasons--at the Playhouse first. (And if you haven't seen it on Broadway and you're in the area, please go. You'll love it. The music in itself is fantastic, but the acting and story are just as great.) Also, THE WHO'S TOMMY, HOW TO SUCCEED IN BUSINESS WITHOUT REALLY TRYING, JANE EYRE, and DRACULA all had trial runs before going to the Big Apple. (And HOW TO SUCCEED... had Matthew Broderick. How sweet was it to see him from the first row?)

Recently, I got to see another Playhouse production that might be Broadway-bound...and then some. THE FARNSWORTH INVENTION is a play about the invention of electric TV (or, more appropriately, the race to establish who invented it). To put it succinctly, it was riveting. It explained all the technical details in an accessible flow, but that's because Aaron Sorkin wrote it. Yup, the WEST WING man himself. And, as you might expect from a Sorkin project, the characters were fascinating--especially "Sarnoff," the heavy of the piece and the man who historically made NBC into a powerhouse. To top off the experience, Sorkin, himself, was in the audience because I was at a preview and he was gauging the performance as well as the reaction. Damned cool.

To make matters even more interesting, the papers have reported that Steven Spielberg showed up to a performance. Could it be that he's thinking of trying to produce the play on Broadway? Or does the master have a more cinematic agenda in mind? I'm salivating a little at the thought of this material in Spielberg's hands.

But...back to my new tickets. I'm unfortunately going to miss CARMEN, which I believe is an updated version of the opera. However, the presentation that I'm most looking forward to is the musical version of CRYBABY (Remember Johnny Depp? Rikki Lake?). It should be interesting to see if it captures the same chemistry that made HAIRSPRAY a Broadway success.

Have a great weekend, you all!

2 comments:

GeminiWisdom said...

I wouldn't mind seeing Crybaby live. I dragged a friend to see the movie, who thought it sucked, but I loved Johnny Depp. It was so corny, but I thought he fit that role perfectly. It kinda reminded me of his character from "21 Jump Street."

Crystal Green's Blog said...

Hey, Gemini! The show will be in November, so I'll be sure to blog about it. ;)