Thursday, June 28, 2007

Revising the Vamps

So here I am, revising that Vampire Babylon novella that's going to appear in the FIRST BLOOD anthology next June for Berkley Sensation. Let me tell you, it's taking a lot longer than I anticipated. I wrote it over a month ago then set it aside. During that time, I decided to make several changes.

Yay.

This means I had a ton of notes and it's actually taking me longer to revise my chapters than it did to write them. This is not how it usually works for me, and it's frustrating.

At least I recently got to take a full day to brush up on research for the story, since it takes place in 1970s New York. One of the main settings is Studio 54, and it was pretty fun to look into the specifics of the crazy club. Sure, I watched 54, the movie, but it wasn't as helpful as you might think. In fact, it was an incredibly tame portrayal of what I've been reading about Studio (According to several sources, this is what the "initiated" called the club.).

Basically, it won't be a stretch for a reader to believe that vampires could have free reign in this place, and that makes it a really fun setting, with its "basement VIP room" and rumors of "Upstairs," where there were secret, private rooms for massive hedonism. There was also supposed to be a "Rubber Room," meaning the walls were rubber to ensure easy cleaning after the night's end. Uck.

Aside from my reading, I've also been watching my fill of 70s movies, just to get the vibe. It's crazy how dated films like SERPICO and DOG DAY AFTERNOON feel, yet they show that people haven't changed all that much.

Time to get back to it now....

2 comments:

Yolanda Sfetsos said...

Good luck with the revision, C! Sounds like you're in the groove of the 70s. It is funny to watch a movie made and set in the 70s, but you're right, people are mostly the same.

And I know what you mean about the revision thing too. This week I did the second draft of a longer novella... and when I was done, decided that I needed to add a new POV, which will strenthen the story. My revision is usually pretty straight forward, so it is frustrating when it's not. :/

Have a great day!

Crystal Green's Blog said...

That's the thing with revision--I know what I'm doing will make the story way better, but it irks me because I didn't do it the first time! LOL. Such a pain. (Can you tell I'm still in the midst of it?)

Hope you have an excellent weekend. :)