Sunday, September 02, 2007

Geeking About THE DARK KNIGHT

Nicole sent me a link to this teaser trailer for THE DARK KNIGHT, which, as you know, is the next Christopher Nolan Batman movie. There are other presentations that you can find on YouTube, etc., and some of them are actually *trailers,* rather than *teasers.* And a lot of them are grainy and hard to see, because I suspect most were filmed by someone in the audience of a Con (like the one in Chicago or maybe even Dragon Con) from a big screen.

But I actually like this teaser the best, mainly because it *is* a true teaser. It has only one image--symbolic and even a little bit unsettling because it tells us what's going to happen to Batman's psyche during this film. Most interesting of all, it features dialogue from Alfred, who acts as Bruce Wayne's stabilizing influence, and the balancing of his voice with the crumbling symbol hits home for me. Then it has the voice we've all been waiting for and, I'll tell you--he sounds a bit like Jack Nicholson in the same role, but there's an edge there that really works. I said this a long time ago when news of the Joker being in this movie came out and I'll say it again: I think Nolan is going to give us the guy who haunted Alan Moore's THE KILLING JOKE and not the clown from Tim Burton's BATMAN. (Not that Nicholson's Joker was bad, it was just...jokey. But to read THE KILLING JOKE--and I highly suggest it, even though it's upsetting and gritty--is to actually feel sympathy for a murderous sociopath who pulls no punches. You see exactly why he's a true nemesis for BATMAN and not just a jester who runs around slinging puns.)

So here's that teaser....



Most of you know there are images of the Joker out there, too, and he's ultra creepy. I'm curious to see how he settles into this "face job"--how he got this way, how he adapts to it, how he uses it. Nolan and his team showed us in the first movie that they're not afraid to use freaky visuals. Remember the shiver-inducing Scarecrow? And how about that druggy vision of Batman himself, looking literally like a bat-creature out of hell? Here's a pic of the Joker if you haven't seen it yet, and it runs along the same lines....


Just...brrrrrrr.

4 comments:

Erica Orloff said...

I loved Bale's first Batman movie, so I cannot wait for this one. I love Batman of all the superheroes; his story is the darkest, the most compelling. And I love that they're going to go into the dark parts of his psyche the way the comics did. Can't wait!
E

Crystal Green's Blog said...

Erica!!! Looking forward to the next Amazing Race? (And I hear you're about to announce a huge deal--congrats!)

Batman's definitely on my top five superhero love list, too. I can never decide whether I love him, Superman, or Elektra the most. I'm also drawn to his darkness--his inner battles, his brooding, and his take-no-guff drive. I also love that his detective brain gives him an edge and makes this human as powerful as other superheroes--but it's this mortaliity that puts him in danger as a superhero.

And I love that Nolan seems to understand all that!

Erica Orloff said...

crystal:
Yup--you nailed it all--and Nolan does seem to get it.

And my deal is exciting--but totally different . . .

Hope all is well with you--oh, and AMAZING RACE is being held until February, I think. What the h*ll will we watch this fall? LOL!
E

Crystal Green's Blog said...

Awesome--I can't wait to hear your news....

Oh, man, I want my AMAZING RACE! It seems like ages since the last one. As for things to watch on TV, there's just too much, LOL. Seriously--I've cut back on going to the movies (considerably) because I feel like what's on TV is way more interesting.

You know what? I'm going to blog about that today.