Saturday, October 27, 2007

Around the 30 Book Mark

A question I'm often asked after people find out that I've been published more than once is this: "Do you write books faster now? Isn't it so much easier?"

I would say...nope. Not even remotely.

See, I just finished chapter 11 of a 12 chapter book, and although today's writing session went well, I feel like I'm running out of steam. Of course, it's normal to feel that way at the end of a story. I see the finish line and I really, really want to cross it.

But, lately, it's been tougher to sit myself down and get myself writing.

Maybe I'm being too hard on myself. After all, you're talking to the chick who, when she first quit teaching and started writing full-time, woke up at 4:30 am three days a week and was writing soon afterward. I had a yoga class at 9:30, so this was my schedule. Sure, I would wake up a little later on the other days, but it was no problem getting up when it was still dark and whaling through those stories. (And I'm really happy with what I produced in those times: THE HUNTRESS and BORN TO BE BAD among them.) Also, later in the day, I used to write a chapter *and* revise it the same day. Good God, I have trouble even revising two chapters a day by themselves now.

How did I do it? Was it the excitement of a new job that's mellowed by now?

What's the deal?

5 comments:

Selena Illyria said...

Interesting questions. Do you still get up at 4:30? Perhaps it's the dark, quiet before day breaks and you suddenly find yourself confronted with all these 'things' you need to do. Or you've become comfortable in the routine you've developed so you've allowed yourself to sort of become a bit lax with certain things? Or maybe the 'new car smell' has worn off and now it's turned into 'work'?

I'm suffering the same problem, Lately, I'm luck if I make 1k, I find myself being distracted by computerized chess or solitaire or youtube. Ugh, I don't know what happened. Sending You Hugs.

Crystal Green's Blog said...

Hey! You bring up some good points. I don't get up at 4:30 anymore (unless it's severely required); instead I'm up at 6/6:15 doing my thing. The huge difference now is that I have tons more PR to deal with and I've cleared the second half of my day for it.

And the "new car smell" has faded, LOL.

I hope we get our batteries recharged! ;)

Yolanda Sfetsos said...

It might just be a phase you're going through, C. Sometimes we can get thousands of words out of the way, and other times we can barely reach 1k.

Maybe you're just tired. Besides, you've been very busy, and those fires didn't help.

It's just one of those things, I guess.

Take care!

Nicole said...

So, do I. Hugs.

Crystal Green's Blog said...

Thank you, Y, and I think you're right about the fires affecting this post. I'm pretty pumped about starting the next Vampire Babylon book, so that's a great sign!

Nicole, hugs back to you.

Hugs to you all!