Sunday, October 21, 2007

Whatca Reading?

I have a strange habit when it comes to reading: for the last six years or so, I've kept a little journal noting every book I've read and comments about how much I enjoyed the work. I like to go over it every once in a while, just to see how my habits and maybe even my tastes have changed.

Since I've quit teaching, my book-per-year total has gone down (I used to read about 80 works per year), and at first I was surprised. But it only makes sense. Back in the day, I would read more YA, and a lot of those stories have lower page counts. Also, I wasn't subscribing to as many magazines like The New Yorker and New York Magazine (both of which are full of possible story ideas) and I'm in to more comic series than I used to be. Those have all taken up the time I used to allot to books. Nowadays, if I reach a total of 50 books per year, I'm happy.

Other notable changes? I "read" way more audio selections now, about one per month since I listen to them when I walk. Also, I read more romances because that's how I keep up with "my competition." However, I still try to wade outside my chosen writing genres; otherwise, I feel a little boxed in, and that's not cool when reading is such a portal to other worlds. One more note: I haven't read for pleasure (outside my audio books) as much because I'm doing lots of "research reading."

Most of the scores I give to the books are pretty high, because if I'm interested enough in a work to stick with it, it shouldn't score low. However, there are some middling rankings, too, because I do find myself hoping that certain books will get better. Normally, they end before they do.

I wonder--does anyone else analyze their reading to this extent? Why do I get such enjoyment out of it?

No comments: