Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Academy Awards Morning

Coming at you from the depths of my writing cave, where I'm currently submersed in Vampire Babylon, Book Four....

Usually, I'm up at the ungodly hour the Academy announces their nominations. This year I forgot about the entire thing. Weird. It's probably because I went to the theater only about four times last year. Four! If you guys used to read Crystal Says... back in the days when I started my site, you'd know that I just about haunted the movie theater. But you can see in my blog that I've also gotten really tired of having to deal with how people behave in a theater now: I'm tired of the conversations, the cell-phone chatter, and the LED lights from said phones or PDAs lighting up the room and competing with what I came to see on the screen.

Anyway, I haven't seen any of the nominated films, even though I'm very interested to watch all of them. And I'm particularly happy to see that Marion Cotillard was nominated as Best Actress for her work in LA VIE EN ROSE, one of the movies I saw at the CineVegas film festival (June 14 entry).

If you haven't seen the nominations, check them out at aintitcoolnews.com....

5 comments:

Erica Orloff said...

I saw JUNO. It was the first movie I have seen in ages that totally, for me, lived up to every ounce of hype.
E

Maria Shaink said...

so, this doesn't have to do with the Oscars but... when i heard about Heath Ledger last night (Rest in Peace!) i started thinking about the Vamprie Babylon...what if he not *really* dead, just *Underground*....

you know you have really gotten inside my head when i say that!!!!

-Maria S.

Crystal Green's Blog said...

Hey, Maria and Erica!

Erica, of all the nominated Best Pics, I want to see JUNO the most. Aside from everything else it has going for it, I think Ellen Page (sp?) is incredible. She blew me away in HARD CANDY.

Maria, after absorbing the shock of hearing about Heath Ledger, this did cross my mind. I only wish he had the option of going Underground....

So good to see you here!!!

Maria Shaink said...

Heath Ledger was a fine actor, and he will be missed. I wish it wasn't true about him being dead, but sometimes the good die young. Very sad.

As far as Oscars go, I *really* want to see No Country For Old Men...huge Cohen brothers fan over here...I'm actually not interested in too much else...Juno does look like it has fine actors, tho' the subject matter just doesn't strike me...but that's just me. I'm sure it's a terrific work of cinematic genius, but i'm not much of a movie person these days...Cohen Brothers films alway get to me tho...

-M.

Crystal Green's Blog said...

Maria, I'm still absorbing HL's death. I just does not compute, you know what I mean?

And I love the Cohen Bros., too--their old stuff, like BLOOD SIMPLE and RAISING ARIZONA is mindblowing! Glad to see them up for so many awards. :)