Monday, April 21, 2008

We Have the Power to Build Him

Have you guys heard about this bionic eye thing? I guess my head's been buried in the sand, but according to this article, there have been operations in which "bionic" pieces have been inserted in the eye, and experts are saying that this might help the blind to see.

Before you read on, I do think this is a wonderful development.

However, I'm also a creator of fiction, so I can't help getting a little weird about it, too.

Now, I know this isn't the bad-ass bionic hyper-vision tool of Sci Fi just yet; this is more to help people see instead of making someone like Jamie Sommers into a superbeing. But how long will it be before we're hearing about bionic implants being used to create everyday versions of superpeople? SCARY! And, clearly, I have no life, because I'm also wondering if this is how Skynet came about--you know, like, in THE TERMINATOR. Just how did those robots get to look so human-like? Besides developing computers to be self-sufficient thinkers, did it also start off with implanting stuff like bionic eyes in actual humans until there was more computer than human?

Don't even get me started on how this could've influenced the Cylons in the latest version of BATTLESTAR GALACTICA, either.

Dude.

2 comments:

Michele said...

Don't even get me started on how this could've influenced the Cylons in the latest version of BATTLESTAR GALACTICA, either.

Duuuuude. Let's not even go there. LOL

Crystal Green's Blog said...

Hee! ;)