Thursday, May 22, 2008

INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL

Little Spoilers Ahead!
Well?

Well. I saw KINGDOM, and I enjoyed it: as I expected, it was wonderful to see Indy back in action and to see how this movie embraced the past while moving into the future. I loved the evocative 195os setting, and even though I, along with Indiana Jones, felt displaced (which the movie used to full characterization advantage), things fell back into step once Indy donned his leather jacket and boarded a plane for exotic places where life almost seems timeless: the jungles, temples, crypts.

I think Shia LaBeouf did a great job, and unlike other fanwanking individuals, I like him, both as an actor and a character in this movie. (But let it be said that even a character as appalling as Willie Scott from TEMPLE OF DOOM wasn’t enough to make me dislike that installment. Take that for what it’s worth.)

But I have to note, also, that there was an odd disconnect for me while I was watching this film. Maybe there were too many characters crowding in on the action and being dragged along on the adventure. Maybe I never felt a driving force behind this particular “mission”—there wasn’t a lot of urgency or high stakes for some reason that I’m sure I’ll think of when I’ve further processed what I just saw.

The bottom line for me is that the early Internet review that everyone was talking about—the review that said “This is the Indiana Jones movie you’ve been dreading”--is a bunch of bile from someone who wanted to stir the crap. It’s not even close to being a disaster, although if you go into the theater hoping for another RAIDERS, you’ll be disappointed. We’re never going to get that movie again—even previous Indy films conceded to that notion by taking the series in other directions, making them more death-defying cartoons than stories that somehow seemed realistic (like RAIDERS, even with its crazy ark stuff). That’s the case with KINGDOM, too, but there’s plenty still there to love about Dr. Jones. To be able to spend two hours with him again is a pleasure in and of itself.

So have fun and let me know what you all think, too, okay? ; )

4 comments:

Yolanda Sfetsos said...

Hey C! We went to watch it yesterday morning, and boy, I wasn't disappointed. I actually LOVED it. Everything about it was so cool.

And you're right, it sure is nice spending two hours with Indy. :)

Crystal Green's Blog said...

Y, I'm so happy to hear about the love! Do you think you'll see it again or are you going to be too busy with all the other summer releases coming out bam-bam-bam?

Celise said...

I haven't seen it yet. Probably not till Monday now, but I'm glad you didn't give anything away. To answer your question, yes I've seen IRON MAN and Robert did a bang-up job. He looked damn good, too.

And yes, I'm wishing I'd never seen SPEED RACER, but I had to because it was one of my fav cartoons. It totally sucked. They made it too futuristic and video game-ish. I was highly, highly disappointed.

I also wanted to add that Yahoo had a list of 30 shows that were cancelled and New Amsterdam was one of them. I know we were both fans of the show, so I thought I'd share the bad news

Crystal Green's Blog said...

Hey, Celise--gah! I didn't know about NEW AMSTERDAM. Damn. Double damn. But I'll bet the lead actor (Why can't I ever spell his name?) got some play from the series and we'll be seeing him in something else soon. He's too good to waste.

At least ELI STONE was renewed.

What a bummer about SPEED RACER. You know, I have the feeling that seeing it on a big screen would make me dizzy, what, with my whole motion-sickness thing. I'll wait for the DVD.

And Robert with that Vandyke beard? Pretty hot.
: )