Tuesday, May 20, 2008

My RAIDERS

I’m gearing up for two days from now when I get to see my man back in action!
Of course, I’ve been doing my prep work for INDIANA JONES…. (Let’s just call it KINGDOM, okay? Even thinking about typing out the full title wears me out.) Last night, I watched RAIDERS. Tonight, it’s DOOM. Tomorrow night, LAST CRUSADE.

But back to RAIDERS. Dang, it’s been a long time since I’ve seen it—and I’m not talking about channel surfing and coming across the movie on TBS and being sucked into the last half of it. I mean sitting my butt down with the intention of taking in every wonderful beat. Previously, I’ve only been living off my memory of RAIDERS, recalling my favorite little “moments”—details that reveal so, so much even without dialogue. (Naturally, these would include Indy shooting the cocky swordsman and turning toward the camera with that exasperated “Onward, I guess” expression. Also, when the giggly villain Toht enters the tent where Marion is being kept and ominously takes out that chain-looking thing and twists it into a coat hanger. Then when Indy takes over the truck carrying the Ark and he gets that devilish look in his eyes as he starts bumping Nazis off the road. OMG—this sounds like a cliché, but they do not make movies like this anymore.)

But something I realized during this viewing was how spectacularly this film has held up. It really doesn’t seem dated at all, and I would even daresay it’s a perfect movie experience; I can even forgive the introduction of Marion’s ballgown in the middle of the desert because even that is so far outweighed by the characterization, the breathtaking action, the clever hammer of an ending.

Watching RAIDERS just made me…happy. It reminded me of a time when I really thought that there might be an Indiana Jones out there. A time when toys were produced and sold as the result of films and not the other way around (which is ironic seeing as Lucas was the driving force behind the whole toy/film relationship that’s so prevalent today).

But the coolest thing? Is that I’m getting to relive a bit of this semi-innocence through my five-year-old nephew. He’s just discovered Indiana Jones and, before he even saw any of the movies, he devised his own whip and is frighteningly good at cracking it. He even created a mini-play to go along with the “Raiders March”—in it, he swings from the couch, over a beanbag-filled pit, and onto a chair, then races around to recover a stolen artifact. Then he tells his audience that the piece “belongs in a museum,” and that’s the end of the production.

I kid you not.

So, for me, 10 am Thursday can’t come soon enough, and I could care less if KINGDOM isn’t the best Indy sequel. I just want to see Harrison Ford in that hat again, smiling that Indy smile and beating the bad guys.

4 comments:

Yolanda Sfetsos said...

Hey C! Oh, man, I'm totally with you. I can't wait to see it. We're actually hoping to get tickets for tomorrow at 10am as well.

We introduced our daughter to the Indy movies a few months back and she LOVED them. Makes us very happy, since the hubby and I are both huge fans.

I can't wait to see it. :D

We'll have to chat some more when we've both seen it.

Crystal Green's Blog said...

Hey, Y! I'm hoping to post my impressions about the movie tomorrow after I see it. I can't wait!

Celise said...

Ditto, ditto, ditto. I spent the weekend watching the first two. I didn't like Crusade. When we were first watching Raiders (which is my favorite), my hubby says "He looks so young." And he did! He looked good shirtless, too, and is it me or did he walk with his chest puffed out when he was shirtless?

My favorite part in Raiders is when he and Marion are on that carrier and he's looking at his injuries on one side of the mirror and she's trying to her reflection on the oher side. And then she flips it and you hear him scream. I'm laffing even as I type this because it cracks me up every time I see it.

I'm so looking forward to seeing this. The hubby and I will probably go opening night. Just like I knew I would, I've been in the movie theater every weekend since May 2nd.

Crystal Green's Blog said...

Celise--OMG, I love that mirror/yowl part, too! In the past, I've been known to rewind that moment a few times because...poor Indy. But so funny.

...is it me or did he walk with his chest puffed out when he was shirtless?...

TOTALLY! This comment made me crack up. Didn't he have some rockin' arms though?

And as for how young he was in RAIDERS...wow, yeah! The sight of him in that movie is enough to bring about some serious lust--especially when he's in the map room and the sunlight brings out the color of his eyes. (melt)

Celise, did you see IRON MAN? I still haven't. (hiding) And I gave up on SPEED RACER because of the uniformly bad reviews.

I'll check back in a couple of hours with my impressions of KINGDOM!!!