Friday, June 27, 2008

Enneagrams

Last weekend, I had the pleasure of seeing one of my friends, Laurie Schnebly Campbell, for the first time in a long time, and to double the delight, it was because she was in town to give a writing workshop.

I got to know Laurie because she's a fellow Special Edition writer, and her books always have fabulously constructed characters who weave in to their plots to maximum effect. Laurie is a master at craft, and she's released a book called BELIEVABLE CHARACTERS: CREATING WITH ENNEAGRAMS to enlighten others about her methods.

Enneagrams are people "types": a list of nine general categories that describe everything from a perfectionist to a peacemaker, and using these qualities really lends to an in-depth character on the pages. Her workshop about how to use enneagrams when creating character is one of those light-bulb experiences that greatly aid during a work in progress; what I mean is that instead of merely taking notes, I sat in my seat while listening to her, actively applying everything to *my* new characters, hopefully enriching my own work.

If you stop by Laurie's site at www.BookLaurie.com, you'll find a treasure trove of writing gems, among them tip sheets and a constructive journal reflecting the progress on her latest book. If you're in need of a craft boost or you just want to sharpen your skills, I highly recommend exploring it....

2 comments:

Laurie Schnebly Campbell said...

Chris, what a lovely surprise to see my Google-name-search come up with your blog! Not only because I'm in it, although that's always a treat :) , but because you've got some really fun posts. Thanks for a great read!

Laurie, definitely planning to come back

Crystal Green's Blog said...

Laurie! Thanks. :) And I hope a lot of people discover how wonderful you, your work, and your site are!
See ya soon....