Friday, August 15, 2008

Day Four at RWA

Saturday at RWA was the first time I was actually able to make it to a PAN (or other) workshop that wasn’t sponsored by one of my publishers. It’s funny, because I used to hit so many workshops at conference, but now it’s tough to fit them in. Not that I would trade my schedule now for anything, but I’m just sayin’.

Anyway, I went to a workshop about independent pub houses, then one about how to work with your in-house publicist. Both enlightening, although I left the latter one early to go to lunch with my Silhouette editor, Susan Litman. She took me and Judy Duarte to a really delicious meal at the nearby W Hotel, and I predicted it’d be awesome, merely based on my experiences at the W in Times Square, which houses The Blue Fin, one of my fave restaurants. But at this San Fran eatery, I had an incredible pizza with caramelized onions and a fried egg in the middle. Heck, I’d never imagined a pizza like that, but it was great—and the egg was the tastiest part when paired with the dough and toppings! And it was great to catch up with Susan; we’re both pop culture fiends, so you can imagine how we talked about everything from TOP CHEF to LOST.

Afterward, we dropped in on the extremely crowded Harlequin/Silhouette forum, where the top brass answered questions from the authors. It was a positive meeting, but I do wish I hadn’t needed to sit on the floor the whole time. :) :(

Then it was off to say hi to some old friends before I met up with Susan Allison, the editorial director from Penguin. We went to the lounge on the 39th floor, and what a view! I really enjoyed meeting Susan and talking to her about everything from opera to THE WATCHMEN to my Vampire Babylon releases next year.

I stopped by the Orange County RWA Chapter’s suite to hang out there for a while, and it reminded me of how much I miss being able to attend the meetings. I’m still a member, but a long-distance one. It’s such a great chapter, with so many incredible authors, and back in the pre-pubbed days, I really benefited from their library, as well as all the workshops they put on. (Same with San Diego, but luckily, I’m able to attend meetings there more often.)

At any rate, I then got to go out to dinner with my wonderful critique group, Judy Duarte and Sheri Whitefeather. We went to Roy’s, and if you haven’t had their chocolate cake, you should go for it (melty in the middle—the very best kind!).

Both Judy and I had early flights, so we were off to our homes just after the crack of dawn. As you might guess, my vampires were waiting to be transferred from the ether of my mind to the computer, and that’s what I’ve been doing ever since. I’m writing a really fun chapter for PATH OF RAZORS, Vampire Babylon, Book Five, today--I get to include stuff about Elisabeth, Countess of Bathory.

Love me some of that gory research….

2 comments:

Yolanda Sfetsos said...

Hey C! Just wanted to drop in to say HI! I also hope you have a great weekend. :D

Crystal Green's Blog said...

Hey to you, Y! Hope you're doing great. I worked this weekend, but I finally started tuning into the Olympics--women's volleyball. Pretty fun!