Thursday, January 15, 2009

RITA books!

I told you all that I've spent the week away from BLOODLANDS with line edits and author alteration copies for WHEN THE SUN GOES DOWN... (Blaze, June), THE TEXAS BILLIONAIRE'S BRIDE (Special Edition, July), and THE PATH OF RAZORS (Vampire Babylon, Book Four, September). So I can't really post about my "process" with BLOODLANDS at the moment, although I have to tell you about a different subject of excitement for me.

I got my RITA books!

For those who aren't familiar with this contest, it's the romance genre's version of the Oscars. The best stories are celebrated and honored, and I have to tell you that it's one of my favorite times of the year. When I receive my judging packet, I feel like I'm ten years old on Christmas morning.

I got some surprising books this year. I can't tell you what they are because, by the rules, I just can't, but I can tell you that four of the six novels are from the "best book with romantic elements category." This means that romance isn't the main focus, although there's a strong romantic angle. I really enjoy this section because it introduces me to some great mainstream authors who ultimately make it to my "auto reading list." One of my other books is from the "Young Adult" category; I chose to judge it because I read so much YA while I was teaching that I discovered a major appreciation for the genre. Actually, I maintain that some of the best, riskiest, most enlightening writing out there is highlighted in YA. The last of my books is from the "historical" category; I grew up reading historicals, and they are the reason one of my careers is in romance.

Time to dig into them!

2 comments:

Yolanda Sfetsos said...

Hey C! Wow, you sounds like you're super busy.

Happy reading!

Crystal Green's Blog said...

Hey, Y! Miraculously, I'm managing my time, LOL. Who knows how long that'll last, but I'm happy right now. Hope you're doing great. :)