First official "water cooler notes" for my newest obsession! Last night's eppie was a good mix of serious and funny/meta-cleverness. At first, I was afraid the premise of a comic book that reflects Dean and Sam's life would be too HEROES. But the writers veered off from the concept very nicely. Let's see why:
* Hah--was that Fabio on the cover of the book? And he's Dean? Those credits were awesome. I have a real yen for these "flights of fancy" episodes, like the one about the monsters filmed in black and white.
* Again, how meta is this episode? They're hitting everything FAN-tastic about the culture surrounding this show. The slash fic, "SamGirls" and "DeanGirls," fans ragging on certain plots, etc. The boards are going to be going nuts.
* "Obviously, I'm a god." Chuck the "author" said this, but I think this is a good time for me to inject my most recent theory about LOST into the post. (Note: I don't read any boards about that show because I find the speculation to be more overwhelming than fun. So this theory is probably out there somewhere. Oh, well.) I think the island *is* a god--a living entity that's able to travel through time and takes babies as sacrifices (hence, the lack of successful births after a certain point in the island's history). The island is judge, jury, and executioner, and that comes in the form of the sentry smoke monster. It is all-powerful. It's not God god, but one of those powerful beings that the greeks or an ancient cultures worshipped.
* The boys wash their clothes. I was wondering if they ever did that. And I love Sam's brooding, pensive shoulders.
* Please don't tell me that one of the seals to break is Sam screwing Lillith. Demons are not for the boys to be getting frisky with! Ruby's bad enough.
* Castiel drops in to heave an info grenade--Chuck, the prophet--BOOM!
* The Winchester Gospel. Wow. I just hope it ends well. (Based on the finale of this eppie, looks like it won't.)
* Aw--Dean turns to celestial guidance. Finally.
* Castiel, the strategist. He angel rocks.
* "I am the prophet, Chuck!" That was a moment.
* Now I'm super curious about what an archangel will look like. Scary as all get out, no doubt.
* Yikes. Very bad vibes about what Chuck saw for Dean and Sam...and Zachariah's creepy presence. I am unsettled.
* Um...a missing Winchester brother next week? Stranger, don't butt in on the Winchester party!!! Let the boys be.
See you next time!