Monday, June 08, 2009

Princess Di Meets Vampires

In the past, I've talked about what I read during the writing of one of my books. I'm a bit behind on this one, seeing as I turned in DEEP IN THE WOODS, Vampire Babylon, Book Six, about a week ago, but I thought I'd share this little tidbit with you.

Since the London trilogy portion of the VB series takes place in...well, London...I was listening to audio books that feature British speakers. Listening helps me to get the flow of the appropriate dialog and narrative. This time, my main source for audio cues was THE DIANA CHRONICLES, written by Tina Brown. This is a biography about Princess Di, of course, and it provided a lot of sheer entertainment along with auditory value for me.

I don't know about you guys, but Diana's death was one of those moments where I remember exactly what I was doing when I heard about it. So was her wedding to Charles. Like many people, I connected with her, even though I would never know her. So it was somewhat tough to read this book, which doesn't paint a worshipful picture of Diana at all--it features all those rumored flaws you heard about in the press like the bulimia, the manipulation of the tabloids, the affairs. What comes out of this document is a story about a highly conflicted woman who really did love Charles in a fantasy-driven way. Brown seems to blame this lack of reality in Diana's love life partially on romance novels, which I thought was interesting. (In fact Brown's disdain for them comes out very clearly.) But Diana also comes off as a very astute "tactician," and anyone who knew how to work the press as she did surely deserves such a title.

Worth a read if you want to see Diana in a light that shows warts and all.

2 comments:

Celise said...

I'm so far behind but I didn't want to comment until we'd finally watched the season finale. I'm talking about SUPERNATURAL. Dude! Like you, I'm so glad that Ruby is out of the pic. That bitch!!! However, the hubby and I are pissed that we didn't get to see some kind of supernatural smackdown. At least they could've ended with that so it left you wondering who survived (like ANGEL. Still waiting for closure on that one, Joss).

So glad you're diggin' the show and I'm glad I'll be reading more of your by-plays when it comes back.

OT, HEROES was hella interesting. I have a feeling that whole Nate-on-the-outside-Sylar-on-the-inside is so totally going to backfire. Are you done with this show or are you going to give it one more chance?

Crystal Green's Blog said...

Celise! I figured you were waiting to watch SUPERNATURAL. I just hope Ruby doesn't make any other appearances as a recycled demon.

As for HEROES, I'll probably watch on a casual basis, but I can't whip up enough interest to recap it anymore. I'll be doing SPN though.

It's only June and I miss Dean and Sam so bad.