Saturday, August 08, 2009

Haunting Beauty by Erin Quinn


I met the wonderful Erin Quinn at this year's RWA National conference, and from the second I saw the cover of her new book, HAUNTING BEAUTY (which is on shelves now), I needed to read it! I'll be diving into it this week, but here's a preview for you....



A mysterious stranger . . .
Danni Jones believed everything about her past—that she was an unwanted child abandoned by her mother. That she was an outcast set apart by her clairvoyance. That she was alone. Then came the stranger. Dangerously seductive Sean Ballagh appears out of nowhere with a startling story that will challenge everything Danni thought was true.

A lost woman . . .
He claims that Danni’s family has been searching for her ever since she
disappeared twenty years ago. He’s come to bring her home to Ireland. But Danni fears there’s more to his story than he dares to reveal. And the only way to find out is by following Sean back in time, to a forgotten past, to a world where nothing is what it seems.

A terrifying legacy . . .
Now, in a land where the mystical and the occult are as vivid as the emerald fields, Danni must rewrite history to save her family, to fight a force more evil than she ever imagined, and to reunite with the one man she was destined for—or live forever in time as nothing more than an ethereal memory, a tragic and haunting beauty…

From Erin, the author:
I fall in love with every hero I write, but there was something about Sean
Ballagh, hero of HAUNTING BEAUTY, that still hasn’t let me go. It’s more than the tall, dark and handsome thing—although Sean is definitely all that. If I had to put a finger on it, I would say it is Sean’s personal struggle to be a good man that completely captured my heart. He wants to do the right thing, but for Sean, nothing is ever easy and doing the right thing means facing a reality that could destroy him.

Enter Danni Smith.

Life has been hard on Danni, but she’s not the kind of woman who rolls over and takes it. She’s forged ahead and, with her little dog, Bean, has found
contentment, if not happiness. She has resigned herself to never knowing who she is, why she was abandoned as a child, or if she has family out there, somewhere. But when Sean appears at her door offering everything she ever wished for—the answers to the questions of her past and the ticket to find her family—Danni must follow him to Ireland, a land steeped with mystery and lore.

Sean delivers the goods—he reunites her with her people—but how could Danni have guessed that she would be meeting herself as a child? Reliving those fateful hours before her whole world was shattered? Learning the secrets that determined her fate? Who is this Sean Ballagh with his beautiful eyes that are as relentless and deep as the sea? And what does he want from Danni? He is more than a messenger, but even Sean doesn’t know the truth about himself.

In HAUNTING BEAUTY, I explored a personal fascination with time and the idea that the past is not set in stone. Mistakes can be un-made, heartache can be transformed into triumph . . . but at what cost? If the past is an elaborate puzzle with interchangeable pieces, when one is altered, how do the others still fit? And how could you be sure that what changed didn’t make everything worse?

I hope you enjoy HAUNTING BEAUTY and you fall in love with Sean as I did. Be careful though, he might break your heart. I love to hear from readers and would be thrilled to hear what you think of Sean and Danni’s story. You can contact me at my website, www.erinquinn.info

15 comments:

Erin Quinn (aka Erin Grady) said...

Thank you so much for having me on your blog, Chris!

HelenK said...

It sounds wonderful.

Is this an Ireland of memory or your imagination?

Stacey G. said...

Erin Quinn is a lovely author - I'm proud to know her personally and have read several of her books. She's a deep author, one who is careful to weave an intricate story that is still easy to follow. I look forward to reading her new book!

--Stacey Goitia w/a Anastasia Foxe

Judy said...

Fabulous book trailer. The music is hauntingly beautiful. :-) The story sounds intriguing, and I've added it to my wish list at Amazon.

Erin Quinn said...

Hi Helen, this Ireland is one from my imagination and from lots and lots of research. One day I hope to have my own memories of Ireland, but for now....

Stacey, you are so sweet! Thank you so much for stopping by and saying such nice things. I'll pay you later. :)

Linda Style said...

Hi Erin,
I spent time in Ireland seeking out my ancestors, so I have a special affinity for the country. Can't wait to read "Haunting Beauty" so I can and take another trip to Ireland...and back in time. Love your books!

Linda


Linda Style
"The Promise He Made" 8/09
www.superauthors.com

Kathryne Kennedy said...

This is a fabulous book and I highly recommend it! I can't wait for the next one!

Anonymous said...

Really looking forward to reading this book. The premise sounds very intriguing.
Erin Kellison

Crystal Green's Blog said...

Wow--a lot of people are excited about this book!!!

Crystal Green's Blog said...

Ooops--I meant to add that I bought my copy yesterday. ; ) I'm excited, too.

Erin Quinn said...

Judy--glad you like the trailer. When I heard the music I knew that I had to have it as the background. It's so evocative.

Linda, you'll have to let me know what you think when you've read it. :) I hope it lives up.

Kathryne--I love ya, man.

Erin: Well I think you need to read it since we share the same first name and it does mean Ireland...

And Chris: Bless you my friend. I can't wait to dive into yours either.

Hey everyone, be sure to stop over at my blog while your clicking and read on interview about Chris Marie Green and her new release, The Path of Razors: http://quinnessentials.blogspot.com

Laurie Schnebly Campbell said...

What a kick to find not only a guest whose book I can't wait to read, but a blog host whose books I've enjoyed for years!

I'm curious if the two of you have anywhere near the same kind of process for creating fabulous stories...has it ever come up?

Vicki Gaia said...

The video captures the haunting beauty of the title. The book sounds like a very magical and beautiful love story. One to put on my TBR pile.

Vicki Gaia

Erin Quinn said...

Vicki--I was thrilled with the video too. The music is what makes it, I think.

Laurie--how fun that you "know" us both. :-) We actually had a talk about process when we were in DC. I'm trying to improve mine and Chris seems to have it all together. But we didn't get into the story creation yet. Next year.... :)

Crystal Green's Blog said...

LOL, thanks, Erin!

Hey, Laurie, and thank you, too! You know I love your books. :) Erin and I did chat at conference about our routines. They're pretty different, but that's okay! Erin has beta readers and a different way of plotting (a "pantser," I think--yes, Erin?). I have critique partners who look at my stuff as I go along and I'm a plotter. I like to have a pretty firm idea of where I'm going before I start, although that doesn't mean a ton of things aren't added during the draft phase. Laurie, I love how you plot--your workshops are awesome!

Welcome, Vicki--great to see you all here!