Tuesday, November 03, 2009

BLOODLANDS, book two

As some of you know, I've got a second series going for Ace, and it's a post-apocalyptic urban fantasy western with some noirish elements (coming some time in 2011). I don't have clearance on the titles yet, but I called the first book BLOODLANDS. This second one that I'm working on right now has a Work In Progress title of [NO] SPILL BLOOD. (Yes, it's a take on the old Oingo Boingo song....) I'm not sure about the third title yet, but I wanted to call it BLOOD BOUND, which is the title of a Patricia Briggs book. Dang.

Anyway, I'm plugging away on book 2, and things are going very smoothly. Almost too smoothly, and that bugs my neurotic-writer within. You know how it is--there are no big plot holes to untangle yet, so, of course, something must be wrong and I'm just not seeing it.

But I'm having a lot of fun. I call the first book "a paranormal SHANE meets MAD MAX," but this second one is reminding me of a paranormal/post-apocalyptic cross between STAR WARS: A NEW HOPE and THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK. It's SW:ANH because I've got a couple of characters on a Luke/Obi-Wan type journey-mission to a place that could be the Death Star if you really wanted it to be. And it's ESB because characters have branched off from each other for a time.

What's even more fun is that I put something into this book for any Vampire Babylon fans who venture with me into the Bloodlands. There's no way I'm going to tell you what I'm talking about (Tease!!!), but anyone who's read even a single book will figure out this "easter egg." I just hope it makes it into the final draft, but I'm not sure why it wouldn't....

So I'm on chapter 10. Writing it tomorrow. Today I'm revising previous chapters. Fingers crossed that things remain smooth!

4 comments:

Mardel said...

This is cool. It looks like a series that I would love to read.
Good luck with the writing, I'll be looking out for the books.

Crystal Green's Blog said...

Thanks so much, Mardel! I'll be reminding everyone about the 2011 release date, LOL. It's so far away....

Mardel said...

I've waited that long for books before, even debut novels, because they looked so interesting. Rachel Vincent's Stray was one, and Helle's Belles (Jackie Kessler) was another one. I think I was watching for your first Babylon book for quite awhile also. That's the joys of internet book trolling. You find out about books WAY before they're even finished. It's fun to anticipate though. Most of the time the books have been worth the wait. There was one that I was disappointed in, but that's because the writing style was way off from what I expected. (it wasn't any of the books I listed here!)

Crystal Green's Blog said...

You're awesome, Mardel! (And I'm happy that book you're talking about wasn't on the list, LOL.)