Tuesday, November 10, 2009

New Years Resolution...But Early

I decided that I'm going to start my New Years Resolutions early. Why not, since I feel like doing them now, right?

I began my main resolution last weekend. I went to AAA, picked up some maps and guides, then jotted down some places I should've seen a long time ago around my living area. I want to visit them all by the end of next year which, by the way, is going to be a killer. (I'm scheduled to write six books, one of which will be the third postapocalyptic urban fantasy. Those take longer than romances.) My list is basically a bunch of "ghosty" or paranormally inclined places, like the highway by Area 51, ghost towns like Rhyolite, and the submerged town of St. Thomas.

I picked the closest place on my list and headed for Goodsprings, which is said to have several ghosts. It's a tiny little place, with just under 300 people living there. It used to be a boom town back when the area produced lots of silver, but what's left now is some houses, a general store, a cool saloon with many bikers, and a graveyard. Needless to say, the cemetery was my favorite part. I was able to do a little Veteran's Day thinking because of a small monument to the town's fallen soldiers. Also, there were some pioneer graves with stark wooden crosses that appealed to my sense of history. It was a quiet time that I really appreciated.

Since the holidays are coming up, I'm not sure when I'll be able to schedule my next trip. I think I'll be heading out to Hoover Dam or hiking somewhere at Lake Mead though....

No comments: