Tuesday, December 01, 2009

And the Writer Wrote On...

Well, after being majorly stuffed during Thanksgiving and then taking advantage of the holiday to excuse a couple of days off, I'm back in the saddle.

The next couple of days will be all about revision on my second Bloodlands book (2011 release date). Currently, my characters are in that "entering the Death Star" phase, where they've arrived at the Hidden Fortress, Dragon's Lair, Evil Castle part of the hero's journey. I'll be tweaking the big action scene today. Those are always a challenge, mostly because of the pacing. I want the scenes to be vivid, so instead of going off on a lot of description, I try to find economical words that'll convey much more than a long sentence would. Does that even make sense?

Of course, during those action scenes, I always want there to be some character development, as well. It's not just about Character One fighting off, say, a zombie or whatever. It's about how the fighting affects them and either advances their character or threatens it. Same with love scenes--you can't just go from position A to position B; the actions lead to very telling *reactions.* A character should never come out of a love scene or action scene unchanged, right?

Off to work....

No comments: