Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Halloween Countdown #5: THE DEVIL'S BRIDE

Do you guys love the old Hammer movies as much as I do?

There's just nothing like the atmosphere of these gems--everything from the awesome music to the evocative set design to the fiendish talents of people like Christopher Lee (who played their Dracula) and Peter Cushing (their vampire hunter) just strikes the right chords with me. Especially during Halloween time, mwah-hah-hah.

I have to say that this movie, THE DEVIL'S BRIDE (1968), isn't one of my Hammer faves. That distinction goes to THE VAMPIRE LOVERS. But it's a fun time, with Chris Lee playing an actual good guy. He's a French nobleman (and a hypnotist and cult expert!) who tries to save his friend from devil people. Actually, this film, as well as ROSEMARY'S BABY, is said to have started to the entire "devil movie" trend that followed shortly thereafter. (Credit Robert Osborne from TMC for that tidbit.)

This film is downright quaint compared to the later "devil movies" though. Watch something like BLOOD ON SATAN'S CLAW and you'll no doubt agree. DEVIL'S BRIDE doesn't have nudity or all that much blood, even though there's a nifty tricked-out ceremony in which the worshipers are all touchy-feely with each other (scandalous!) and in which the devil himself shows up as a goat man.

My favorite part is when Chris Lee is all, "DON"T LOOK AT THE EYES!" when his friend becomes enthralled by a devil guy. It's one of those scenes that was probably totally scary in the 60s, but now it's kind of hilarious and cute. Also, this movie has the distinction of showing me the first villain ever who says, "I shall not be back." That in itself gives it awesome status.

Some of you know that Hammer has been resurrected, and they're making horror movies again. I. Can't. Wait!!!

Next: Okay, I'm finally getting around to PEEPING TOM. I swear.

No comments: