Monday, April 25, 2011

Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes

I've been doing a lot of thinking about what's happening with publishing. Truthfully, I can barely even keep up with what's going on. It seems that, every day, a ton of information is coming at us about new e-book gadgets, future gadgets, and how that gadget you just purchased is already out of date. Information about how e-publishing is changing traditional publishing as we know it.

I've been trying to figure out just how I'm going to fit into this new e-paradigm just as much as traditional publishing houses and agencies are trying to determine how they're going to stay in business, as well. I can't speak for them, but with Kindle and Nook and etc./etc./etc., it seems as if there's a new freedom in the air for an author in particular.

And freedom can be scary.

I say that because there are so many directions a person can go. Which way? Why? And will it end up being the wrong way?

But freedom is...freedom. In the future, an author can determine her own release schedule. She won't have to wait to get the okay on a series. She can start a project when her passions for it are exploding.

There's a cost to that, though. With all this self-determination, there's also more responsibility, like making sure a manuscript is competently edited, securing an eye-catching cover, and (the hardest thing of all, in my view) marketing that book or books.

Intimidating, to be sure. But also exhilarating.

This is an exciting time, and a scary one. But I'm glad it's here....

No comments: