Tuesday, July 14, 2015

How Am I Reading Five Books at a Time?

How did this come to pass?

I've always been an eclectic reader, or maybe calling myself a "multi-reader" would be equally accurate. It's just that I get so excited about books that I go all buffet on them--I can't help piling more than one on my plate. In the past, they've been from different genres, and sometimes they have definite purposes, such as research for my writing or advanced reader copy blurbing. Sometimes a due date at the library will even dictate what I'm reading (as you will soon see).

But five at a time? That's ridiculous, even for me!

Maybe it's because this is *summer.* Magical, there-are-hardly-any-TV-shows-on-now summer. Maybe it's because I spazzed out at the library and put too many things on hold. Whatever the case, let's see what's on the buffet line these days, shall we?

1. Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher
The Why I Am Reading This:
My friend Tera Lynn Childs recommended this book to me. Those of you in the know are chuckling and thinking, "Yeah, Chris, this has only been on the YA bestseller lists for, like, three years." (That's what Tera said, LOL.) So I'm a little behind, but I wasn't going to let being passe stop me from reading about a girl who committed suicide and sent cassette tapes to thirteen people who played a part in her demise. I'm listening on audio from the library, so there's a due date and, hence, a rush to finish. The story is a tragic mystery, and as I near the end, my emotions are going nuts. I'm pissed at Hannah, the girl who took her life, but that's all I'm going to say because...spoilers. I wouldn't do that to you!

2. We Were Liars by E. Lockhart

The Why I Am Reading This:
The Skimm told me to. Also, are you sensing a pattern here? (YA, anyone? You'll see why I'm YAing in #3.)

So far, this book (a library Kindle loan--told you all my library books came at once!) reminds me of what an old Jay McInerney story would be like without the drugs and debauchery. We'll see how Less Than Zero it gets, if it even does.

3. The Rules by Nancy Holder and Debbie Viguie

The Why I Am Reading This:
a) Nancy Holder is a good friend. b) I had an idea for a YA thriller and was dismayed to find out that my good friend had written one before I did. Oh, well! c) It's inspired by movies like Scream, and you know I'm not going to pass that goodness up.

Surprise! This is not a library book.

4. And Then Forever by Shirley Jump
The Why I Am Reading This:
I was lucky enough to be asked to read an ARC for Shirley Jump's new contemporary romance series. Yay! I am an ARC hussy, and I can't wait to give this a blurb. (It'll be released later this month.)

And...

5. The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins
The Why I Am Reading This:
Um, who isn't reading this? If you're not, I suppose you'd better get on the psychological thriller wagon. Er, train. This is an audio loan from the library, which, now that I'm thinking about it, must've taken a perverse pleasure in making all my requests available at *at the same time.*

The less I say about this book the better, because again--spoilers. Just know that it starts out very Rear Window-y and is basically a psychopath's version of a catfight at this point.

Yeah, you're totally checking it out now.

And there you go. BTW, I frequently tweet about what I'm reading on Twitter, so join me on #amreading @ChrisMarieGreen and @CrystalGreenMe!

No comments: