Thursday, August 13, 2015

What We're Reading

Hello, again!

Are you all being good readers? I finished LUCKIEST GIRL ALIVE, and it was worth the read. Some very controversial stuff in there that might be upsetting, but polarization can make a book popular. And this one sure is. I think it's interesting that we have this trend—I don't know...is it a trend?—in which every book with "girl" in its title features an unlikable heroine. Gillian Flynn is a master at pulling this off, enrapturing readers while we perhaps even despise the heroine, and while I'm slowly making my way through the "Girl" books (GONE GIRL, GIRL ON THE TRAIN, LUCKIEST GIRL ALIVE), it's fascinating to see what other authors do with this tricky characterization.

P.S. Some readers might never connect with the LUCKIEST GIRL ALIVE, so be warned.

Anyway, this week, I've added three more books. I can't keep track of how many I'm even reading anymore. (Er...#hyperchick?)

1. LEAN IN by Sheryl Sandberg


The wonderful Stephanie Bond recommended this book. It's written by the COO of Facebook, and it's not so much a memoir as it is a statement of encouragement to women to be more assertive. It explores reasons we won't "sit at the table" (and you'll have to read the book to get that reference/story, although you can probably infer that it has something to do with men sitting at the big table while women chose not to. It's a stunning anecdote.) Very enlightening and startling.


2. IMMORTAL POSSESSION by Cassi Carver


Okay, urban fantasy fans, here's something right up your awesome alley! This novella appeared in a box set I was in, SEDUCTIVE SUPERNATURALS (not avx anymore), and it's fantastic. Cassi can really build a world, and this one is sort of a post-apocalyptic keep-society-in-line agency world. The heroine is unlike any I've read before--she's a smart paranormally inclined doctor who is vulnerable to spirit possession--and that's refreshing. I've got Cassi's other UF books, so I'll be glomming pretty soon.


3. THE DEVIL IN THE WHITE CITY by Erik Larson


Technically, I haven't started this yet, but it's sitting here right next to me staring. Pick me up now, it is saying. I'm telling it to hold its horses until I finish this blog. Yeesh, a little patience, please?

Anyway, maybe this book has good reason to be snapping its fingers at me because it's been on my TBR shelf (shelves?) for years. In spite of recommendations from friends, it somehow got lost amongst the other million books. You know what made me snatch it up? The news that Leonardo DiCaprio will be starring in the film version for Martin Scorsese. I love to read books well before the movie is out because I'll remember the overview but not the smaller details--those will surprise me all over again come cinema time. Yes, I'm simple.

In case you haven't heard, this book is about the man who is supposed to be America's first serial killer. (Yeah, not my kind of book at all!) He got busy during the World's Fair in Chicago. That's all I know and that's how I like it.


Are you reading anything fun? Share!

No comments: