Tuesday, August 04, 2015

What We're Reading

Remember a few weeks ago when I shared the five books I was reading with you? Well, I'm down to four now, although I anticipate getting another Overdrive audio book any day now. (Yeah, I'll be sure to shout that out when I actually get it. Can you feel the anticipation in the air?)

1. THE SUMMONING by Kelley Armstrong


I'm still on that young adult kick, and this one's a paranormal by a bestselling author. Due to life's little happenings, I had to put it aside for a bit, but it's easy to get back into. Basically, it's about a girl who thinks she's schitzophrenic because she's seeing dead people. Since this is a paranormal book, we know there's not a thing wrong with her (besides the dead thing). The writing is snappy and fresh, so I'm enjoying it.

2. SECRET PLEASURES by Cheryl Howe


Full disclosure--a good friend of mine wrote this, and I'm loving it. I grew up reading historical romance, and I've never given up the habit. This one's a historical regency, and how can a girl not adore scenes set at glittering (and some naughty) parties? How can a girl not feel for the disgraced heroine as she navigates her way around the snotty ton?

A girl cannot.

3. ON A NIGHT LIKE THIS by Barbara Freethy


We actually received this book at the RWA conference, but I discovered that I already had it on my Kindle. I'm not far into it yet, but I can see why Freethy's a bestseller--she's created a heroic family populated by firefighters and community givers, and they're very appealing.

4. LUCKIEST GIRL ALIVE by Jessica Knoll


I just started this one. It's supposed to be the summer's big read, so I'm feeling very hip and with-it. After chapter one, I'm waiting to see where this leads, but I see that this is drawing comparisons to Gillian Flynn books, and that's a high bar to meet. The similarity to Flynn is pretty obvious, though--this book continues this newish trend of featuring unlikable but compelling female characters (in the tradition of GIRL ON THE TRAIN and, oh, every single Gillian Flynn book).

What are you all reading?

No comments: