Friday, September 25, 2015

What We're Reading

Oh, wow, I've been a bad girl about keeping my reading to myself! But I've been on another YA tear, and here's what I'm currently absorbed in:

Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard


How can you not dig this cover? This is one of those books where the artwork just pulled me in, first and foremost. It's a YA cross between royal X-Men meets The Hunger Games, and I'm only referring to the latter because of the revolutionary stuff that's involved with this storyline. Red Queen starts out with a very HG-like gladiatorial set up but then soon switches to the elites versus the subjugated masses theme. With a superhero twist.

BTW, have you all noticed that revolutions have been a huge YA theme for a while now? Do you think it's just because "teens like to revolt against authority" or because of something bigger that's happening in this world? Interesting thought.


Looking for Alaska by John Green


Yes, I am on the John Green train (and, no, I am not related to him. I have been asked this before. ). I love his wit, and I can't tell you how many times I've laughed during my reading. I hear it's gonna be a movie (duh), and I'm sure it'll be just as light and lovely and charming and then heart-tearingly dark as The Fault in Our Stars was.


Cinder by Melissa Meyer


I haven't actually started this yet, but come on--like I'll be able to resist a retelling of Cinderella in which she is a robot.

What're you reading? 

No comments: